A quick update with the dates for Sling Meet throughout the rest of 2019. All being well the venue remains The Font in Chorlton and the dates are as follows:
The last meet before summer will be next week, July 17th and all hires will be for one month only (thats £10 for a stretchy or £15 for a structured or buckles carrier, or woven wrap, plus a £20 deposit.) Returns will be on September 4th after the summer break.
Ongoing dates will be:
September 4th and 18th,
October 2nd and 23rd
November 6th and 20th
and December 4th and 18th.
All meets are on a Wednesday, 9.30-11.30am.
Have a great summer and happy carrying!
Rebecca & Ruth
Unfortunately due to double childhood illness (it never rains but it pours!) both Ruth and I are unable to host sling meet today. Today’s meet will be cancelled and the next meet will be the 1st of May as already planned.
Apologies for any inconvenience – as always please do message the FB page with any queries and if we can help via that route we will.
Next Sling Meet: Wednesday 1st May at Font in Chorlton, 09.30-11.30
…it probably is.
When we discuss purchasing a sling with our library users we often warn them to be careful about where they purchase from. Like many other products there’s a brisk trade on eBay in Chinese ‘copies’ of popular expensive baby carriers, (Ergo and Tula especially.) Even when we purchase carriers for the library at a discount for hiring out we still pay a significant portion of the RRP as the actual manufacturing costs are high. This is because safety is strictly governed in the UK and EU and sling manufacturers have to invest in getting their products tested rigorously for quality and safety. This includes things like testing the stitching supports the intended carried weight, (which is why you will see suitable weight ranges on carriers when they are sold – this is the range which they have been tested within,) and that the dyes are non-toxic and suitable for a baby sucking them etc!
Often the fake carriers are indistinguishable from the real ones to even the experienced user and come with tags and warranty paperwork that is made to look very convincing just like a real product. If it is being sold at a heavily discounted price however, it is more than likely not to be genuine.
How to make sure you buy a genuine branded baby carrier and protect yourself and your baby from fake goods:
- Buy from a reputable retailer – if not direct from the manufacturer, buy from an online baby wearing retailer like Slumberoo or Love to be Natural, or in stores like John Lewis. Our library staff will be happy to advise you where to shop and we may be able to give you a discount code for sling library users so its always worth checking!
- Be very suspicious of great deals! Its unusual to get more than 10% off a carrier unless its January or summer sales, for example.
- Avoid eBay and Amazon – unless its the verified store for a brand – Hanababy for example sell on Amazon via their own Amazon storefront.
- Pay using Paypal then if you have any issues which cannot be resolved via the retailer you can raise a claim via them.
- Should you have any doubts most carriers come with warranty info, a registration form and a serial number – so the manufacturers can issue product recalls if issues arise. If you contact the manufacturer directly with that information and query whether the product is genuine, they should be able to reassure you or confirm that it is not.
Having recently helped a library user who had unwittingly purchased a fake carrier we wanted to remind everyone what to avoid, so you are all well informed and carrying your baby in genuine carriers. If you do wish to try and save money, consider the second hand market but do your due diligence and check the carriers origins with the seller before purchasing and again use Paypal for buyer protection. If you’re not sure, send us a message and we will see if we can help!
Due to ongoing venue difficulties I am going to trial basing the sling library at my home in Chorlton. The next session will be Thursday 14th December 1-3pm. This will be the last session of 2017 so if you are thinking about getting out and about over the Christmas period, maybe travelling or staying with family, now is the time to come and try a sling or carrier to take with you! I will provide the mince pies!
My house is located at M21 8UY. Rather than post my address on the internet, if you would like to attend please get in touch via email email@example.com and I will let you know the details.
A few bits of information if you are planning on coming along:
- I have two children so please make yourself at home when visiting. There will be changing facilities available and you are welcome to feed your baby anywhere you need to, or a private space can be made available, no problem.
- Please try to walk or use public transport if you live locally and be considerate of our neighbours when parking if you do drive.
- There is space in my hallway for buggies but be aware they may need to be folded if it gets busy.
- Accessibility – My home is accessed by 4 steps up to the front door. I can assist with carrying buggies in but it may present a problem for wheelchair users. Please contact me in advance if you need help and I will do my best to find a solution.
- To try and make sure everybody is seen in good time, if you know you are coming please do drop me an email and let me know what you are coming for. This way I can try and group people together who are looking for the same thing (i.e. stretchy wraps) or if you would like to try or hire a specific carrier I can reserve it for you.
- You can find a full list of available carriers here and what you need to know about hiring a sling here.
Any questions please just email, or call/text me on 07980 284 889
Hope to see you soon!